By Tara Copp & Aaron Mehta, Air Force Times–
After months of quiet, North Korea resumed testing of its ballistic missile program Tuesday, launching its highest missile to date, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Tuesday.
“North Korea launched an intercontinental ballistic missile. It went higher, frankly, than any previous shot they’ve taken,” said Mattis, who was at the White House meeting with President Donald Trump. “It’s a research and development effort on their part to continue building ballistic missiles that can threaten everywhere in the world basically.”
The North said in a special televised announcement hours after the launch that it had successfully fired what it called the Hwasong-15, a new nuclear-capable ICBM that’s “significantly more” powerful than the North’s previously tested long-range weapon. Outside governments and analysts backed up the North’s claim to a jump in missile capability.
The missile was launched from Sain Ni, North Korea, and traveled about 1,000 km